Reporting/Supervisor: Enterprise Development Manager, Southeast Asia
Location: Multiple locations throughout Southeast Asia
Contract: Six to eight-month trial contract (independent contractor) with potential transition to full-time employee
Start: December 2017
Travel: Up to 80% regional travel throughout Southeast Asia
About Elevate Social Businesses
Elevate Social Businesses (“Elevate”) is a social business builder that brings entrepreneurial solutions to global poverty. Elevate builds from scratch and manages businesses that work with smallholder farmers, fishers, and women entrepreneurs. Elevate works to improve their livelihoods by providing the tools they need – from training and financing to technology and innovation – and connecting them to markets where they can prosper.
Elevate builds two types of businesses: farmer services and aggregation and inclusive distribution.
By building businesses from scratch, using a market-driven approach working with large companies, with value-added support from an expert central team, Elevate is able to eliminate many of the risks and barriers that prevent social businesses focused on economic development from being successful.
For more information, visit www.elevatesocialbusinesses.org.
About farmer services businesses and the opportunity
Elevate’s farmer services businesses are built to address market gaps and sourcing needs of buyers and to bridge the gap between farmers, fishers, and local retailers, large buyers, fast food chains, and others. These businesses provide technical assistance and supply inputs such as seeds and fertilizer to help increase production and quality to meet the standard of high value markets. The businesses then purchase and aggregate the products and sell them directly to buyers, improving the incomes of farmers and fishers relative to what they previously earned.
Having built multiple businesses in Latin America and the Caribbean, with recent expansion into Africa and Asia, Elevate is adapting its established farmer services models to target smallholder farmers in poor communities in Southeast Asia.
Value Chain Scoping Associates will play a key role in supporting Elevate’s work of scoping, building and scaling multiple high-impact farmer services and aggregation social businesses in Southeast Asia over the next few years.
- Scope and complete due diligence for potential farmer services business opportunities.
- Develop business plans and financial models including valuations and social impact projections.
- Complete in-depth financial analysis of markets, value-chains and trends.
- Analyze and assess risks linked to:
- Prospective buyers and demand.
- Prospective suppliers and gaps in volumes and qualities and/or pricing issues.
- Recommended agro-extension services and expected improvements to yields and productivity.
- Overall value chain analysis including all other actors and intermediaries.
- Assist Elevate management in design, set-up and launch of early stage investments/pilot enterprises, including rollout of financial and operational procedures.
- Evaluate and recommend possible co-investment opportunities including grants, equity or loans.
- Manage key stakeholders such as co-investors, NGOs, government entities, and multilaterals.
- Complete other responsibilities, tasks and assignments as requested by Elevate management.
Qualifications / Requirements
- Advanced graduate degree and excellent academic record or undergraduate degree and at least two years of relevant work experience.
- Strong analytical and quantitative problem-solving skills, including financial statement analysis and complex financial modeling capabilities.
- Solid functional knowledge, including but not limited to strategy, start-up development, agricultural value chains, smallholder agricultural development, project management, etc.
- Experience writing/developing business cases a strong plus.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Hands on ability to work in an entrepreneurial/start-up setting.
- Fluency in English is a requirement; preference given to candidates with working proficiency in any of the following languages: Burmese, Indonesian, Khmer, Vietnamese or Lao.
- Knowledge of and passion for the field of social enterprise and impact investment.
- Willingness to travel and spend extended periods of time on assignment in remote areas.
Elevate Social Businesses