IDinsight is hiring a full-time junior data engineer (0 to 4 years of relevant experience) to grow our data systems and broader software engineering capabilities. In this role the data engineer will work with project teams and clients to build data systems to drive social impact. You may build software to help manage on-the-ground efforts to locate out of school children, to introduce greater accountability and effectiveness into social safety net programs, or to deliver socioeconomic data to high level decision-makers in the social sector.
We are a social-impact oriented organization, so can guarantee incredibly meaningful work tackling some of the world’s most complex international development challenges around the world.
Grow as a data engineer while doing meaningful work
We are working to build IDinsight into a global leader in the use of innovative data systems to solve some of the world’s most urgent problems.
You’ll be joining a growing data engineering team and working on highly impactful and innovative projects with our partners. You’ll be joining an entrepreneurial team where you have a strong voice in how the team functions and grows. To be effective, data engineering products need to be contextually relevant and build on subject-matter expertise. You will get to work closely with our partners, our team of economists, social-sector experts, and public health specialists to build and test solutions.
Learning is a key part of being a data engineer. 10% of your time would be dedicated to learning new skills and side projects of your choice. You’ll have strong mentorship to guide your data engineering career and you’ll make interesting and valuable connections.
IDinsight helps leaders combat poverty worldwide by designing, deploying and promoting evidence- generating tools. We tailor the best methodologies to partner needs and constraints to fuse evidence with action. We serve governments, NGOs, foundations and social businesses across Africa and Asia in all major program areas including health, education, agriculture, livelihoods, finance, energy and governance.
Our approach rests on four pillars:
- Rigorous: We develop and use a wide-range of cutting edge data and evidence tools, including experimental evaluations, monitoring systems, data analytics and visualization, process evaluations, machine learning and more.
- Cost-effective: Every dollar spent is justified by expected impact. If funds could be better used in another way, we say so.
- Timely: Actionable information is delivered in time for client decision-making deadlines.
- Demand-driven: We deploy solutions tailored to partner contexts and needs with no competing agendas.
Our diverse, growing team of over 150 outstanding colleagues operate in nearly two dozen countries around the world. Learn more at www.IDinsight.org.
About the Role
We are seeking candidates with a strong background in Python/SQL and core data engineering skills, and a passion for building solutions to difficult social problems. Most importantly, successful candidates should possess the ability to work independently to solve complex challenges, both human and technological.
As a junior data engineer, the day-to-day work may include:
- Working with clients to understand their needs: understanding their current processes and pain points and identifying which of these can be addressed through automating and streamlining data flows.
- Wrangling/cleaning government or client data, with an eye toward automation: from extracting data from SQL databases and making API calls to scraping websites and cleaning survey data.
- Creating and maintaining optimal data pipeline architecture.
- Working with analytical tools to provide actionable data insights to decision-makers.
- Working with other team members to test and deploy these solutions.
Professional development for our technical roles is essential for IDinsight’s long-term impact. With support from IDinsight leadership, the employee will maintain self-directed professional development plans and will be given “stretch” opportunities designed to strengthen their professional skills. Real-time feedback and structured reviews are regularly provided to maximize each data team member’s expertise. IDinsight’s entrepreneurial culture allows roles and career progression to be tailored to individual strengths, interests, and goals. Employees have the opportunity to increase responsibilities, and high performers will have the opportunity to move up in the organization along technical, managerial, or client-facing paths.
Required Technical Qualifications
Junior Data Engineer:
- Proficiency working in Python and SQL is required.
- Proficiency building data pipelines in a production setting.
- Proficiency using Python packages like requests, scrapy, pandas, and sqlalchemy to perform extract, transform, and load operations.
- Proficiency working with third party API’s.
- Proficiency with data modelling techniques.
- Proficiency working with relational databases.
- Sound foundations in statistics and probability.
- B.S./B.S.E. degree in Applied Math, Data Science, Computer Science, Physics, Engineering or Similar Technical Field
Other required qualifications:
- Proven ability to work alone and with teams in a dynamic, multicultural environment.
- Passion for improving lives through evidence-informed policy.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English. Fluency in languages spoken in countries where IDinsight works is a plus.
- Strong values aligned with IDinsight’s stated values.
- Ability and interest in sharing knowledge, mentoring others, presenting work and reviewing the work of others.
- Deeply passionate about global development and improving lives in disadvantaged populations
- Open-minded self-starter who will thrive while tackling new, unusual and unpredictable challenges
The most competitive applicants will also have experience in one or more of the following:
- Experience living and working in developing country settings.
- Experience working with popular data engineering platforms like Airflow, PySpark, and Kafka.
- Experience working with a cloud hosting platform, preferably AWS.
- Experience working with devops tools like Docker and Terraform.
- Experience working with R and R Shiny.
The position is located in New Delhi, India, with travel dependent on project needs.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, we are currently “working from home” globally. As such, successful candidates would be expected to work from home until it is possible to safely and responsibly work from an IDinsight office.
Compensation is commensurate with relevant experience and background, and competitive within the social sector. Please note, as a non-profit, we are unable to provide compensation similar to leading technology firms.
The start date of this position is flexible, although there is the potential to start almost immediately. We expect a minimum one-year commitment, with regular professional development conversations and potential for a long-term career at IDinsight.
Applications should include three references, including email, phone, and title. Briefly state in what capacity you worked with each reference.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. More information, including spotlights of current and past IDinsighters, can be found online at IDinsight Careers. Any questions should be directed to careers@IDinsight.org. IDinsight is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create a diverse and supportive workplace.