AVPN Capacity Building Workshop
Sponsored by EdelGive Foundation
Capacity Building is fundamentally about channelling resources to improve an organisation’s effectiveness. AVPN has curated a series of case studies on how resource providers have applied and supported capacity building efforts across Asia, bringing a multi-faceted view to how resources can be catalysed and leveraged to deliver greater social impact.
To this end, this workshop offers participants the possibility to step out of their daily practice, reflect on other practices, interact with their peers and enhance their own strategy.
Who should come?
- Grant maker – your work requires you to provide both funding and value-added services to grow social organisations. How can you give more than money and start building capacities?
- CSR manager – you’re tasked with overseeing skills-based volunteering opportunities for your colleagues, how can you match them with social initiatives for maximum value?
- Portfolio manager in an impact investment fund – how can you justify funding capacity building overheads of your investees?
- Incubator manager – capacity building is already core to your work; come and participate in the discussion and learn about alternative models.
- Social investor – you’ve funded several social impact incubators. You would like to learn about alternative models in this space.
By the end of the session, participants will have –
- Discussed different ways of capacity building in various contexts using case studies and literature
- Reflected on common issues along the example of other thought leaders in this space and begun to map out solutions to their issues
- Enhanced their capacity building strategy
The module is practitioner and case-study oriented and provides an overview about key literature. Discussion between participants and guest speakers will be core to the delivery. Together these two elements will allow participants to reflect upon their capacity building techniques and improve them.
EdelGive Foundation, Edelweiss House, Off C.S.T. Road, Kalina, Mumbai
- AVPN Member: INR 5,000
- Non-member: INR 7,500
|0830 – 1000hrs||Introductions: understand participants’ engagement practices and rationale
#1 The engaged approach
|1000 – 1030hrs||Break (Coffee)|
|1030 – 1200hrs||#2 Offering and managing Capacity Building
Overview of the literature & common practices, group discussion and report back
|1200 – 1300hrs||Lunch / Networking|
|1300 – 1430hrs||EdelGive and Toolbox Case study
Review in depth, group discussion and presentation
|1430 – 1500hrs||Break (Coffee)|
|1500 – 1700hrs||#3 Funding and Impact Measurement of Capacity Building
Breakout group discussion, report back and wrap up
|1700 – 1800hrs||Workshop wrap up|
Paul Carttar is partner and co-founder of The Bridgespan Group, his areas of specialisation are social innovation, enhancing the effectiveness of philanthropy, and scaling solutions that work. Paul will share the successes and failures of the Social Innovation Fund and draw on his more recent career experience to suggest “what next” for social finance, as Governments and Social Sectors face up to the challenges of the next 50 years.
Dr Martina Mettgenberg-Lemiere, Assistant Director, AVPN Knowledge Centre
Kevin Teo, Managing Director, AVPN Knowledge Centre
Case Study Guest Speakers
Naghma Mulla, COO EdelGive Foundation
Vijaya Balaji, Managing Director, Toolbox India Foundation
Please register here or kindly contact [email protected] for further queries.