If unable to view, please use this link.
- Despite the widely held belief that impact measurement and management is needed, questions remain: What is considered a “good” impact is highly debatable; How much standardisation should be applied and therefore which metrics are most effective? The metrics help in the due diligence, but each investor will make the investment decision based on the impact they want to see (each investor has their own vision).
- The session discussing impact management resources The Impact Management Project (IMP) & GIIN’s IRIS+. IRIS+ collects a huge database, forming core metrics, evidence & research that helps investors in the due diligence process. IMP aims to measure the change in outcome caused by an organisation, some outcomes are financially material, some positive, some negative.
- Practitioners note that having quality data to measure impact is challenging but knowing what to measure may be more important. This is what IMP and IRIS+ are designed to help with. SEAF walks through how they use IRIS+ to identify core metrics (no. of quality jobs; total revenue generated; total taxes paid) alongside supplementary metrics (gender impact; suppliers & beneficiary/customer demographic; governance) and finally thematic metrics (agriculture; clean tech & renewable equity) to identify good investment companies.
Having a consistent framework for assessing impact helps asset owners and fund managers communicate clearly about impact goals and performance across multi-asset and multi-fund portfolios. This workshop will help participants appreciate the coherence in the universe of impact standards, and demonstrate the alignment and complementarity across the landscape. It will offer insight into how investors can navigate the standards to articulate, measure and report on impact in a comparable way. Participants will be expected to engage actively through online polls and small group discussions.
- Asset owners and asset managers understand the universe of impact standards and a common language around impact goals and performance starts to emerge
- Participants become familiar with how IRIS+ themes are developed and how they can collaborate with other experts and impact investors to start establishing common benchmarks and streamline impact strategies
- Workshop acts as a starting point for continued impact conversations for asset managers and asset owners in Asia-Pacific