BACKGROUND AND DETAILS
Nearly half of all deaths in children under 5 years are attributable to malnourishment. India has one of the highest malnourishment rates globally and Maharashtra is particularly affected.
Chronic malnutrition has severe consequences which affect a child for the rest of his life including increased likelihood of premature death, susceptibility to disease, impaired cognitive skills and academic performance, lower physical capacity and ability to work along with major long term negative impacts on brain and nerve development.
Project Poshan works in partnership with the Integrated Child Development Scheme (ICDS) in rural and urban communities. Through this project, we will:
- Enrollment and specific targeting of undernourished children, to ensure visible impact
- Supplementation of nutritious food (ensuring 500 KCal & 10 gm proteins), specifically designed, locally sourced & culturally acceptable. Food safety monitoring at every step.
- Anthropometric assessment & growth monitoring of the children, based on multiple nutritional indices to track the growth.
- Building capacities of ICDS staff & parents for improving feeding practices, sanitation, healthcare of child and household nutritional recipes
- Medical screening and consultation for severely undernourished children
- ICDS (Integrated Child Development Service): Senior representatives of the Integrated Child Development Service Scheme, Maharashtra State, provide permission and strategic guidance to implement project Poshan. Establishing partnerships with the Integrated Child Development Scheme (ICDS) of the Government of India is the first step in leveraging existing community infrastructure and resources. ICDS is the State’s flagship program with a mandate to deliver health services for women and children.
2. United Way Mumbai: United Way Mumbai holds complete responsibility for design, implementation and monitoring the project. Key activities include:
- Project design and strategy
- Procuring permissions and establishing partnerships, ensuring medical referrals and follow-up
- Need assessment, baseline, midline and endline studies
- Growth monitoring of children and sourcing, distribution of nutrition supplement
- Training of project staff and ICDS functionaries
- Community member engagement
3. Kellogg, Videojet, Idemitsu, Wells Fargo: Our donors contribute financial resources for the project. They also offer skills and time of their employee volunteers to help enhance project activities.