Click here to learn more about the Impact Organisation
With over 65% of the Indian population living in rural areas, micro-enterprises play a very critical role in scaling socio-economic development across the undeserved.
Yet, many of these micro enterprises struggle to gain access to reliable and affordable sources of energy to fulfil their basic energy requirements. Instead, they have to be dependent on expensive and inefficient sources i.e kerosene lamps and diesel generators.
As a result, many of these micro-enterprises shut down their enterprises during early evening hours, losing the opportunity to generate more revenue.
DeyHaat's solution will not only create energy independence, but also support poverty alleviation CO2 emission reduction.
DeyHaat develops, builds & operates solar-powered pico-grids in rural markets to provide energy access as-a-service to micro enterprises located in rural markets. A small solar system (pico-grid) is placed on one of the shops, while neighboring rural shops are connected through network of wires.
DeyHaat charges a basic service fee (which is 50 % lower than any other solution) to operate and maintain the system. The offering is complimented by flexible service fees to increase the affordability for micro enterprises. Customers do not have to provide upfront payment to adopt the services and will not need to pay for any lifelong maintenance charges. We also place a strong focus on reliability by offering a dedicated customer call center and a strong on-the-ground field presence.
DeyHaat creates significant social impact in the following ways:
1. Increasing efficiency: Most of our targeted micro enterprises do not have reliable access to basic lighting requirements during evening business hours so they either close their enterprises early or use expensive and inefficient sources of energy such as diesel generators and kerosene lamps. DeyHaat not only helps them to cut their energy expenses by 50% but also helps them to enhance their revenues by 20% due to extended evening business hours.
2. Improving livelihoods: With the extended business hours, local communities can socialise in the evenings, increasing overall quality of life.
3. Reducing emissions: By accelerating the use of renewable energy, the initiative reduces the communities' dependency on fossil fuels, which directly helps to avoid overall CO2 emissions. This creates a safer and healthier environment for local communities.
Currently rural micro-enterprises depend on fossil fuels for their energy requirement hence emissions are calculated and tracked as per the following:
– Average consumption for each rural micro-enterprise of Diesel or kerosene is 6 L a month (surveyed data by DeyHaat)
– Technically combustion of 1L of fuel generates 2.5 kg of CO2.
– Each micro-enterprise typically generates about = 2.5Kg X 6 L = 15 Kg of CO2 per month.
– With DeyHaat, each rural customer will avoid 180 Kg of CO2 annually.