- Gain a macro overview of the Asian social investment landscape and key trends.
- Read in-depth reports on each social economy.
- View comparative deep dives on outlooks (fact file) and SDG progress for the 14 social economies.
- Compare investment opportunities across 2 social economies.
- Look for investment opportunities on our Deal Share Platform.
1. Who is the Social Investment Landscape in Asia for?
Now in its second edition, the Social Investment Landscape in Asia serves as a resource for funders and resource providers to assess the opportunities and challenges for social investment in 14 markets in North, South and Southeast Asia. It is designed to be a guide for new social investors and intermediaries looking to enter the Asian market and existing actors exploring partnerships as well as cross-border or cross-sector opportunities. This includes an online portal facilitating data analysis and research, and 14 separately downloadable reports covering each market. Since the launch of this initiative in 2017, the online portal has been visited by more than 200,000 visitors and the market reports have been downloaded more than 10,000 times across the world.
2. How do I use the content in the Social Investment Landscape in Asia?
The Social Investment Landscape in Asia furthers AVPN’s mission to move financial, human and intellectual capital towards impact. It provides analytical deep dives into specific sectors and highlights key trends to inform social investors and resource providers as well as maps the supply and demand landscape for social investment within each market on the online portal.
Considering where to invest?
- Get a comparative overview of the 14 Asian social economies or compare 2 social economies. For more in-depth insights, read the individual country reports.
Considering which cause(s) to invest in?
- Get a comparative overview of SDG progress in the 14 economies or view the economy-specific SDG dashboard in the full report. You can also see how different economies fare for a particular SDG by filtering accordingly.
Wanting to understand market-specific capital flows?
- Get a comprehensive snapshot of grant, debt and equity flows under the Demand and Supply for Capital graphic on each country page.
Looking to complement governments’ efforts or address existing gaps?
- Visit the section on ‘Government Initiatives to Address Development Gaps’ in each report to find out which sectors (agriculture, education, health care etc.) policymakers are focusing on.
- Visit the APFx: Policy Exchange for Impact digital platform to identify collaboration opportunities with the policy community and other cross-sector stakeholders on actionable policy initiatives and programmes on the ground.
Looking for investment opportunities?
- Visit the Deal Share Platform to see current deals and connect with SPOs for possible funding, pilot or capacity support.
Looking to connect with like-minded organisations and individuals?
- See upcoming AVPN events for future engagement opportunities.
3. What does the Demand and Supply for Capital represent and how do I use it?
The Demand and Supply for Capital graphic, located at the bottom of each country SIL page, is an interactive illustration of the country’s social investment space. It depicts the organisations receiving funding (demand for capital) and financing organisations (supply of capital). The pie chart summarises the distribution of social investment within a country, while the table below lists financing organisations and the types of finance they provide. Both the chart and table are interactive and can be modified by clicking on the different categories and finance type columns.
4. Will the Social Investment Landscape in Asia be updated in the future?
In coming iterations, we will create a dynamic mapping tool to help members identify how to better align their work to national and global targets like the Sustainable Development Goals, and to also find like-minded organisations for partnership and collaboration opportunities across our platform, including Deal Share and APFx. Every week, curated information will be added to the online portal to inform our audience and build their capacity for action. In this way, we hope to help members maximise their collective impact towards addressing Asia’s most pressing challenges.
5. How was the Social Investment Landscape in Asia put together?
The research team used a combination of primary and secondary research methods and a particular process to curate information into useful insights. We sketched the landscape by compiling relevant standard indicators, indices and rankings from secondary sources and plotted the trends and actors from secondary literature and AVPN’s various member engagement activities. When necessary, we expanded on this understanding by interviewing key actors to gain insight on investment/implementation philosophies, challenges and barriers.
To overcome the issue of limited data availability, we adopt a framework to assess the stages of development for key factors in each of the 14 social economies for SPOs (demand for social investment), investors (supply of social investment), intermediaries and enablers (organisations that support investors and/or SPOs). Ultimately, the toolkit was built to be interactive and highly customisable by enabling cross-economy and cross-sectoral comparison.
6. How do I provide feedback?
We welcome your feedback and suggestions for improvements. Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.